The Downtown Charleston Project Coordinator will assist with implementing the downtown portion of the Imagine Charleston Comprehensive and Downtown Redevelopment Plan. The plan is based on using historic preservation as an integral foundation for economic development. The project coordinator will work with the Charleston Area Alliance VP of Community Development to develop, execute and document prioritized sections of the Imagine Charleston plan.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
– Coordinate the activity of the Imagine Charleston Task Groups ensuring that communication among task groups is well established and assist task group volunteers with implementation of work plan items.
– Develops in conjunction with the Community Development Committee, economic development strategies for the downtown business district that are based on historic preservation and utilizes the community’s human and economic resources.
– Coordinate downtown promotions and events.
– Is familiar and communicates regularly with all persons and groups directly and indirectly involved in the downtown business district.
– Develops and conducts on going public awareness and education programs designed to enhance appreciation of the downtown business district.
– Provides outreach efforts to increase downtown stakeholder knowledge and understanding of the advantages of forming a Business Improvement District for downtown Charleston.
– Encourages a cooperative climate among the downtown business district interests and local public officials.
– Monitors the annual project budget and maintains financial records and reports regularly to the VP of Community Development.
The project coordinator should have education and experience in several of the following areas: commercial district management, economics, finance, public relations, planning, business administration, marketing, public administration, retailing, volunteer or non-profit administration, event management, architecture, historic preservation and/or small business development. The project coordinator must be sensitive to design and preservation issues and must understand the issues confronting downtown business people, property owners, public agencies and community organizations. The project coordinator must be entrepreneurial, energetic, imaginative, well organized and capable of functioning effectively in an independent environment. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential. Must be competent in operating all standard Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and Power Point.
Physical Demands and Time Requirements: Applicants should be aware the following demands of this position.
– Must be able to work for extended periods of time.
– This will be an approximately 25 hour per week, grant-funded position. There are adequate funds to cover the position for 24 months beginning in June 2014.
Applications will be accepted until June 15, 2014. Please send letter of interest, resume and three references to Susie Salisbury, VP Community Development, Charleston Area Alliance, 1116 Smith Street, Charleston, WV 25301 or via email to SSalisbury@CharlestonAreaAlliance.org.