Daily Archive for January 14 2014
As water is restored to the Charleston area, residents and businesses are demonstrating the great resiliency and for which West Virginians are known by picking up right where they left off. Businesses are reopening, people are going back to work and children will soon be back in school.
The Charleston Area Alliance encourages all businesses and residents to let the world know that nothing can keep us down by participating in a “Back to Business Charlie West” campaign. The campaign features a logo, media outreach, Facebook, Twitter and other social media communications, and upcoming educational forums to help companies get back to business.
We invite businesses, whether they were closed or not, to display the attached flyer in their windows as a sign of solidarity with their community. Stickers and printed posters will be available at the Alliance offices in the next few days. Individuals are invited to display the same flyers in their windows at home.
Click HERE to download a PDF version of the logo.
Businesses should use the following Twitter hashtag to let their followers know that they have reopened: #BacktoBizCWV. Workers can let their friends know they’re back on the job with the same hashtag. Shoppers and diners can express their appreciation for businesses impacted by the water crisis using the hashtag.
“When things can look their worst, West Virginians are at their best. We couldn’t be prouder of our community, and as the region’s economic and community development organization, as well as the largest regional chamber of commerce in West Virginia, we’re committed to helping our businesses and people get back to work,” said Alliance President/CEO Matt Ballard.
Wellness experts will discuss establishing efficient wellness programs and strategies to improve employees’ ability to be active at the workplace at SUCCESStrategies: Getting Fit at the Workplace this Wednesday, Jan. 15 at the Charleston Area Alliance.
The event is the second of four lunch and learns in January as part of Live Well Charlie West, a month-long Alliance campaign dedicated to workplace wellness.
The panel discussion will be led by Dave Harshberger, wellness manager for the Health Sciences Campus at West Virginia University. Harshbarger manages an on-site wellness program for more than 7,000 employees. He is also the program director for the Dr. Dean Ornish Program for Reversing Heart Disease at WVU.
Other panelists include:
- Kate Long, creator of the “Try This!” campaign and author of the Charleston Gazette’s “The Shape We’re In.”
- Alexis Batausa, health and wellness promoter, Mingo County Diabetes Coalition
- Kasey Russell, Charleston City Council
The cost is $5 to attend. You must pre-register to attend. Click HERE to register.
Check out what’s also scheduled this week for Live Well Charlie West:
- A collaborative group of organizations, led by Dr. Dan Foster, is launching an important campaign entitled Rethink Your Meds. Don’t forget to pick up your “Stop Meth Labs” button. Wear this button all this week to start a conversation with friends, family, neighbors and co-workers about how we all play a role in reducing methamphetamine (meth) labs in communities across West Virginia. Buttons can be picked up at the Alliance and at the Wednesday’s lunch and learn. Visit www.rethinkyourmeds.org to learn more.
- How do you get your 30 minutes of physical activity a day? Post a photo of you engaging in your favorite physical activity and use the hasthag #healthyselfies.
- We’ve all seen the effects in our family, friends and colleagues when mental health takes its toll. What steps can you take to support and assist a colleague whose mental health may not be at the top of their game? David Sanders of the Bureau for Behavioral Health and Health Facilities will tell you how. Schedule an on-site lunch and learn with David by emailing Cullen at CNaumoff@charlestonareaalliance.org.
- Take a second to talk about a moment or person that has changed your life for the better. Share your thoughts and be a part of the Live Well Charlie West #iamgratefulwv project. Your thoughts will become part of a collaborative mural the Charleston Area Alliance is creating online. See the mural and find out more at iamgratefulwv.tumblr.com.
If you attend any Live Well Charlie West event, please share your participation by using #LiveWellCWV on social media.
For a complete calendar of Live Well Charlie West events, click HERE.
For more information, please contact Cullen Naumoff by e-mail HERE or call 304-340-4253.
We’re pleased to have featured Live Well Charlie West worksites including:
- Charleston Area Medical Center
- City of Charleston
- Security America
- Spilman, Thomas and Battle
- St. Francis Hospital
- United Way
Live Well Charlie West is a collaborative effort of many partners including:
- Kanawha Coalition for Community Health Improvement
- Highland Hospital
- Clayman & Associates
- Kanawha Pastoral Counseling Center
- WV On the Move
- City of Charleston
- Alzheimers Association
- Wellness Council WV
- Kanawha County Health Department
- Communities That Care
- American Heart Association
- The Counseling Connection
- Mark Wolfe Design
- Dream Creative
- Charming Charleston