Daily Archive for March 17 2010
Join us Thursday, April 8th from 9 a.m.-noon at the Charleston Area Alliance, 1116 Smith St., for a Sustainability Awareness workshop. This workshop, led by Matt Earnest, executive director of workforce development at Bridgemont Community and Technical College, will focus on the economic, social, and environmental impacts of the human species on the planet and the “Nine Opportunities for Sustainability” as potential solutions to those impacts. The Nine Opportunities for Sustainability (9 OPPS) are:
- OPP 1: Eliminate Waste—of all kinds
- OPP 2: Go Non-toxic—supply chain, our process, emissions and products
- OPP 3: Fight Global Weirding—reduce our carbon footprint
- OPP 4: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Redesign—mimic nature
- OPP 5: Make Transportation Efficient—move less stuff over shorter distances
- OPP 6: Get Healthy—practice personal sustainability
- OPP 7: Add Value in Our Community—give something back, it’s a two-way street
- OPP 8: Engage Others—spread the word and listen
- OPP 9: Challenge the Future—rethink how we create value
Cost to attend is $25 for current Alliance members, $45 for future Alliance member. Click here to register.
Refreshments will be provided. For more information please contact Lesley Hager at LHager@CharlestonAreaAlliance.org.
About the trainer:
Mr. Earnest is the executive director of workforce development for Bridgemont Community and Technical College. He has a B.S. in industrial engineering and operations research from Virginia Tech, and a master’s in human resources education from Boston University. (more…)