Daily Archive for November 16 2009
Generation Charleston is making a real difference in the Capital City.
We keep talent.
We grow talent.
We donate talent.
But we also like to pause every once in a while and recognize talent. On Nov. 18, Generation Charleston is hosting a “Celebration of Young Leaders” to honor the accomplishments of 2009 and provide a sneak preview of our exciting plans for 2010.
In 2009, Generation Charleston has:
- Expanded membership from 500 to more than 800;
- Raised more than $2,500 for the Childhood Language Center;
- Formed a Nonprofit Board Placement Committee that has positioned 15 young leaders on boards and committees for organizations such as The Clay Center, The Charleston Ballet, Goodwill Industries of Kanawha Valley and HospiceCare;
- Adopted the Gateway Greenspace project by providing awareness, advocacy and funding for this exciting new development downtown;
- Served organizations ranging from Union Mission to Habitat for Humanity through projects and volunteer time of more than 250 young professionals;
- Logged more than 650 hours of community service;
- Received the Governor’s Service Award;
- Organized more than 75 volunteers to clean up the banks of the Kanawha River;
- Attracted more than 100 guests to the annual Loft Walk in August, which demonstrated the benefits of downtown living.
“This is the first time Generation Charleston has publically recognized the significant accomplishments of the group since its formation three years ago,” said co-chair Emily Bennington. “We’ll be looking back briefly, but our focus in definitely on the future and we’re excited to make a few major announcements at this event.”
Along with discussing specific goals for 2010, the current co-chairs will be introducing two new co-chairs and the leaders for Generation Charleston’s seven teams next year.
The networking reception begins at 5:30 p.m., and the program runs from 6 to 7 p.m.
To RSVP for this very special event, please contact Deb Coffman at DCoffman@charlestonareaalliance.org or (304) 340-4253.